Thursday, December 13, 2007

Why I practice Christian Laughing Yoga



I believe that Yoga is Christian, because all truth is God's truth, and I believe that God can speak to all cultures so I believe that Yoga, in its mind emptying and use of poses or positions can enhance my daily worship experience. I believe that I become a part of the hereandnow, and engage God in the forevermore when my mind is empty. God can speak to me so that I can contextualize whatever the Bible says into the here and now so that I can engage it better for my own life.

Here is a great example. As I was in the lotus position, and my mind was empty, the red words of the great teacher came to me:"it is easier to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of heaven" I began to contextualize this, because I am rich compared to the rest of the world because I have free-range meat, organically grown vegetables and fruit, and steroid-free meat, milk, and butter. I get fresh tap water from my faucet. So I began to weep, because I realized that the kingdom was not for me, unless I give it all away. So I went down the street, because I live in the warehouse district and gave my food to some guys that look like they needed it. They threw it at me, screaming that they didn't want my food, they wanted drugs and alcohol. I went away feeling better, because I was no longer rich, and I had been persecuted Just as the guy who spoke the red words. I also went away hungry and bruised, because I had given away my food and those guys beat me up. But, I engaged in the laughter of God, and felt his joy when I got back to my basement ashram.

So that is why I practice Laughing Christian Yoga. Makes sense, doesn't it?

No comments: